Saturday, January 19, 2008

Fast, Energy Efficient Cooking

No, it's not a campfire or a blow torch.

I have a childhood memory of my mother making our dinner using a pressure cooker. It had a small weight on top of it that would bobble around when it reached full steam. I have to admit, it seemed a little intimidating, knowing that if you touched it the wrong way, it might explode all over the kitchen.

Fast forward to adult life. One of my holiday gifts was a pressure cooker. ( So much for jewelry and clothes.) Oh no, I thought. I'm not using that thing. It's old fashioned, it's passe, and most importantly, that thing is dangerous!

After a few years, I decided to open the box. I read the instructions. I inspected the pot. Hmmm...no more bobble weight on the top. The new models seemed pretty much idiot proof now. So I gave it a try, with careful supervision. I sauteed a little onion, carrots and celery and threw in some chicken parts, seasoning and water. I sealed it up and turned on the heat. I sat there, staring at the thing to make sure it didn't explode. It didn't, naturally. And in 15 minutes, I had made chicken soup. I was amazed. I will try this again, I thought. And I did. Again and again. Now I am a huge proponent of pressure cookers. I use it all the time, and my family is amazed at what comes out of there so quickly. Pot roast, chicken, our lamb and french bean stew...in the time you would boil pasta!

At some recent family gatherings, the ladies would congregate and swap stories, one of which was about their beloved crock pot. In only 8 hours, they would come home to a nice hot meal. That's all good but 8 hours? Not only is the pressure cooker faster, but it uses a heck of a lot less energy. 8 hours vs. 15 minutes. I mentioned this to the ladies. And they say,"Oh yeah, but I'm afraid of it." Aren't we all? Hell, if we can give birth, this is a cakewalk.

There are several good ones on the market. If you have an interest in an energy efficient way to cook your family a nice, healthy meal, this one is my choice.

Fagor Pressure Cookers
. This is a great company out of Spain that makes good quality products. Go to www.fagorpressurecookers.com.

No comments: